The character development of every child is critical in nurturing him/her to be a responsible and concerned citizen of Singapore. It is with this emphasis on character and citizenship development that the Institute aims to instil sound values and build competencies in students and promote activism for social and/or environmental causes in Singapore and beyond.
The Character and Citizenship Education Programme aims to develop students who demonstrate:
• Care for and contribute actively towards improving the lives of others;
• The ability to reflect on and respond to community, national and global issues;
• Socio-cultural sensitivity and cross-cultural literacy skills; and
• Civic responsibility and appreciation for our national identity.
ALIGNMENT TO STRATEGIC THRUSTS AND INSTITUTE VALUES
Strategic Thrust 1: Quality Student Outcomes
To develop Character, Sound Values, Civic Literacy, Global Awareness and Cross-cultural Skills.
Institute Core Values:
To develop positive Habits of Mind for Performance Character and Active Citizenry, the Institute provides a range of experiences and sets of skills and knowledge that aim to nurture students to be confident leaders and active citizens with Integrity, Respect, Responsibility and Resilience.
KEY COMPONENTS IN PROGRAMME
- CCE Lessons
Values In Action (VIA) Programme
- Local VIA, Overseas VIA and Activism
National Education (NE) Programme
- Commemoration of NE events
- Experiential Learning Journeys
- Dialogues with senior civil servants