Character and Citizenship Education
The character development of every child is critical in nurturing them to be responsible and concerned citizens of Singapore. It is with this emphasis on character and citizenship development that the Institute aims to instil sound values and build competencies in students, and promote activism for social and/or environmental causes in Singapore and beyond.
The Character and Citizenship Education Programme aims to inculcate values and build competencies in our students to:
- Make responsible decisions and choices amidst the complexity and ambiguity of the current global environment;
- Be purposeful in the pursuit of their education, career and life goals;
- Seek to understand and appreciate multiple perspectives;
- Be resilient, adaptable and optimistic in the face of adversity;
- Demonstrate social responsibility and make meaningful contributions to the community by leading through service; and
- Be proud Singaporeans who are committed to building the future of Singapore and who understand Singapore’s role in the world.
Character and Citizenship Education Lessons
One hour a week is set aside, during curriculum time, as the Home Tutor Period (HTP) to teach Values, Knowledge and Skills for Character and Citizenship. A progressive approach is adopted in planning the HTP schedule to meet the differing needs of our students over the three years. Lessons cover values, Socio-Emotional Learning skills, Sexuality Education, Education and Career Guidance, Cyber Wellness, National Education as well as planning and reflections for Values in Action activities and projects.
Key Components in Programme
National Education (NE) Programme
Values In Action (VIA) Programme